Monday, October 27, 2008

Here's the Scoop

This weekend, in the midst of apartment hunting (I'd elaborate, but you just don't want to hear about it), we stumbled upon a beautiful row of brownstones in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, and an even more beautiful little cafe. If you don't know about Prospect Heights, it's a neighborhood right above Prospect Park, a big, green place that nicely anchors the borough of Brooklyn. Prospect Heights is looking pretty gentrified these days, and you can see the mix of old neighborhood and new in the stores that neighbor one another and the people who mingle there. A tasty addition representing the new is Blue Marble Ice Cream, where we made an impromptu stop before moseying on to view some laughably dreary apartments. I'd have to say it was the most rewarding part of our day.

Blue Marble opened in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn in 2007 and has just recently opened this Prospect Heights location. My guess is that sourcing their dairy from small farms in New York and Pennsylvania is what makes their ice cream so lick-ably silken. To my delight, they even tell you where they get their coffee, and their chocolate, and their tea, and it's all certified Fair Trade. Their shop is clean and family-friendly, as New York City Explorers shares the space. Their teeny little tables made me giggle, each one adorned with a slight jar of fall-hued flowers. All in all, I felt that this was the ultimate cafe experience.

If all this isn't enough for you, their ice cream will have your tongue tap dancing with glee. I tried 'Culture', a tangy frozen yogurt sweetened with honey. I even ordered a hefty dollop of natural peanut butter to mix in. Mary was kind enough to let me try her chocolate cone. I don't even like chocolate ice cream that much, and she practically had to chase me down the street to get it back. Even though it's fall, Blue Marble was an ideal snack stop for this sunny day. If you're ever in the neighborhood, I'd recommend you check it out.


-Kylie

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe in a reader

Adriana Willsie and Kylie Springman ©2009