Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Apples to Applesauce

One of the many things I get giddy about come fall is apples. Especially in the Northeast, small McIntosh apples come in season in late September, just forcing me to buy big bagfuls. I put them in my fridge and subsequently start putting apples in everything from lunch sacks to oatmeal to salads. Searching for things to do with the aforementioned plethora of apples now in my possession, I stumbled upon Shauna's applesauce-making instructions last weekend. She told me it would be easy, and I believed her, by gosh (she seems like a very trustworthy person). So I whipped up two servings of spice-kissed, chunky applesauce with which to top my Saturday morning oatmeal.

Chunky Applesauce-Serves 2
Adapted from Shauna James Ahern
Prep and cooking time: About 30 minutes, depending on how saucy you want your sauce

Ingredients
4 apples, peeled and sliced (I like to mix a couple sweet ones like  McIntosh and crispy ones like Jazz or Granny Smith)
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of Nutmeg
Tiny nub of ginger, grated
Optional: brown sugar, honey or agave nectar on top

First, bring your water to a boil. Then throw in your spices and ginger. Now dump your apples in. I stirred it occasionally, because I have this fascination with stirring things, and I would recommend that you do, too. It will take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to become sauce, depending on how firm your apples are and what consistency you want. I felt like a chunky applesauce, so I kept my apples more apple-ey and less saucy.

Now scoop out your applesauce into a bowl or on top of your oatmeal, squash soup or other fall treat. I really liked this applesauce with no sugar, but I sprinkled some brown sugar on top to stir into the oatmeal.

Enjoy!

-Kylie

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe in a reader

Adriana Willsie and Kylie Springman ©2009