Monday, November 9, 2009

Gingered Applesauce


I've always found great comfort in food that can be eaten with nothing but a bowl and spoon. Maybe it's because I can cradle the bowl in my arm, almost like getting a hug from your snack. Maybe it's because, unlike forks and knifes, there's nothing sharp or pointy or potentially dangerous about a spoon. Or maybe it's because the food served in bowls with spoons is often warm and mushy, i.e. the perfect antidote to my more jagged days.

Yes, I've found myself reaching for bowls and spoons more often than I might like to admit. Once, after a particularly bad break up, I managed to eat an entire bag of tollhouse semi-sweet chocolate chips via the bowl and spoon method. Yes, it's true. And no, I'm not proud.


So, this afternoon when I was craving a bit of pre-week comfort, I turned to the last basket of apples left over from my apple-picking extravaganza in September. While the apples were just a wee bit past the crispier, crunchier phase of their lives, they were still perfect for apple sauce.

As far as comfort food goes, applesauce is where it’s at. I promise. It’s warm and mushy and sweet and fragrant. It’s easy to make and done within an hour. It leaves you feeling nourished and happy. And, of course, it is best eaten with your favorite bowl and spoon.

At the last minute, I decided to grate in a bit of fresh ginger and add a squeeze of lemon, two of my all time favorite flavors. Though I imagine some cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves would have also been warm and delicious. Or perhaps I could have sliced in a couple of pears and added 2 or 3 cardamom pods. My goodness, homemade applesauce is quite a versatile comfort food.


So, as your days get colder and darker and more hectic, I hope you remember my scientifically proven bowl and spoon method of relaxation. Whether you fill your bowl with my scrumptious gingered applesauce, a homemade stew, mashed potatoes, or chocolate chips, it is guaranteed to bring you a few moments of comfort.


Gingered Applesauce
Ingredients
10 medium apples
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
Salt

1. Slice each apple into quarters and remove the core. You may peel the apples if you dislike the peels or if you don’t have a food processor.
2. Add apples to a heavy bottomed pan such as a Dutch oven. Add ½ in. water, grated ginger and a pinch of salt, cover and bring to a boil.
3. When water is boiling, remove the lid and let apples cook, stirring occasionally, until they reach the desired consistency, about 30 min.
4. Feel free to add honey or brown sugar if you feel your applesauce lacks enough sweetness, but be sure to taste it first because it is unlikely to need it.
5. Puree if desired (I didn’t), and enjoy warm in your favorite bowl with your favorite spoon.

-Adriana

8 comments:

  1. That looks so, so delicious. I love home made applesauce, and I bet the ginger and lemon make it so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ginger and apples, what a great combo! looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! A definite must-try...
    Beautiful blog by the way, I love the pictures :)
    -Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Which apples are the best kinds to use for apple sauce? I'm going to try this one out over the weekend. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! I used McIntosh, Jonathan, and Empire to make this applesauce. I think in general the softer apples work well for applesauce, but these varieties worked just dandy for me :) I do think though that using a variety of apples makes the flavor more interesting. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. things are lookin' good around here! love the changes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the Netherlands, kids have applesauce with their French Fries, along with Ketchup and Mayo....I've considered making this with some lemon thyme but this ginger suggestion is music to my ears for I am a ginger love...imagine it on some Turkish yogurt with flaked almonds - wow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, Kitchen Butterfly, that sounds delicious! Do you think I would get looks if I brought some applesauce with me to my next cheeseburger and fry excursion?

    ReplyDelete

 

Subscribe in a reader

Adriana Willsie and Kylie Springman ©2009