Thursday, December 3, 2009

engaged

Puget Sound Clouds

I first saw her on the bus. Heading to the dorm downtown, I sat in the front section of the bus, that part that faces the other riders across the aisle. She was wearing a fuzzy white American Eagle sweatshirt with a pink logo. She smiled a lot and talked excitedly to her friend. I was in love, unquestionably.

That night I called my friends. "I just saw the love of my life." I hadn't spoken to her, had been too shy. But I knew somehow that this was love.

Six months later, over spring break, I couldn't sleep. I stayed up late checking my Facebook messages. Someone I didn't know had invited me to join their group (this was in the olden days when Facebook groups were still new and novel). The group's name? Ellen Degeneres Rocks My Socks Off. While I wasn't sure the point of this group or why I had been invited to join it, Ellen Degeneres did, in fact, rock my socks off with her good-natured humor. I joined.

Browsing through the short list of other group members, my breath caught momentarily. There she was again, staring back at me from a thumbnail photo on the screen. Those same engaging eyes, the confident poise.

I had missed one chance, and I wasn't about to miss the second. I messaged her. Over Facebook. I messaged my love-at-first-sight over Facebook. I tried to sound witty. And not crazy. Less like a stalker than I felt. I tried to make it funny. If she was the person her eyes told me she was, she would understand.

I got a message back the next day. She remembered me. Six months later, having simply sat across from me on a bus, she remembered me. She was amused by my attempts at witticism. She returned with funny quips of her own. I read her words, and I jumped up and down. In my dorm room, by myself, having just returned from a run across the Brooklyn Bridge, I sweatily jumped up and down in pure, unbridled joy.

I invited her to eat hummus with me on MacDougal street. Later, I found out that she had no idea what hummus was. We were both too nervous to eat much anyway. We walked around the East Village, falling deeper.

Over the next five years, we helped each other with papers. We cooked first meals for one another, and we introduced each other to friends and family. She moved me in and out of dorms. We flew back and forth across the country visiting each other. I took her on her first trip outside the U.S., and she took me to loads of Long Island weddings. We played pick-up sticks at first, then had Cranium parties. Finally, she introduced me to the speed Monopoly her family plays, and taught me chess. We bickered and laughed. Oh, goodness, did we laugh. More than I had laughed in all my life.

And then, last Saturday, with the Christmas tree up and carols playing in the background, she asked me to get hitched. To celebrate with her and invite the people we love to share our joy. I said yes. Unequivocally yes. Yes from here to infinity and back.

And so we'll celebrate. We'll keep on living our lives, laughing all the while, and we'll celebrate it all in a couple of years. At some point, we'll go to Massachusetts, or Connecticut, or wherever it's still legal, and get a government certificate. There's no rush. We have our lifetimes to keep on laughing, living joyfully and with abandon.

-Kylie

Kylie and Mary

*So many thanks to Adriana, and all the other friends and family who have supported us and shared our excitement these past few days. It means more to me (and to Mary) than you know.

27 comments:

  1. Congratulations Kylie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a very new reader, and I have never met you, but you are deserving of HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! I wish you the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Kylie!!! Thank goodness for places like Massachusetts and Connecticut (these days). But no mind, no politics here, just joy in knowing that you are perfectly matched and loved! All the best... -Liza

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the day Kylie called to tell me she saw an amazing girl on her bus ride home, but was too shy to talk to her. How wonderful and mysterious and perfect and exciting that the two of you have chosen to spend the rest of your lives together. I couldn't be happier for both of these incredible ladies! P.S. Can you consider having a medieval-themed wedding? I happen to know some folks who can throw together some seriously awesome costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Thats a great picture of both of you by the way. Also I give you permission to fully disregard my sister's 'brilliant' wedding idea. -Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the sweetest blog post ever! Congratulations from Seattle - I'm very happy for you both!! - Michelle Sid

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sooooo happy for you! Hopefully we here in New Jersey will be able to work things out for you two lovebirds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura: Thank you! Am I going to get to see you this weekend?

    Kinzie: Thank you for being here. Hope to hear lots more from you. I really appreciate your comment.

    Liza: Yes; thank goodness. And Canada, too. I forgot!

    Adriana: Only if your mom invites her medieval "friends". Ahem.

    Tucker: Thank you for that permission. Though Mary does really like the renaissance fair.

    Michelle: Aw; thank you. I miss you so much. You and trips to get ice cream with you.

    Sailnoble: Thank you for stopping by!

    Marcia: Yay Jersey! We love you.

    -Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kylie,

    What a beautifully written story about love and happiness. We are so happy for you and Mary. It is always so wonderful when amazing people find each other.

    Sending very BIG congratulations your way!
    -Julia & Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kylie! Congratulations! I am so happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo hoo! This is a fantastic story... congratulations and thank you for sharing your fabulous news!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This weblog is being featured on Five Star Friday - http://www.fivestarfriday.com/2009/12/five-star-fridays-edition-82.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. The best day of your lives is the one day that the two of you decide: your lives belong to each other. A decision made with no apologies or excuses. You will find there is no one else, at the end of the day, to lean or rely on, except for each other; yet, we look forward to the privilege of being there for the two of you. This is a gift- it is the beginning of an amazing journey together- and you and Mary will be responsible for the quality of it.
    Your Mom is just excited this day as she was the day you took your first baby-step. I am very happy that the two of you were here for our “beginning”; we look forward to being there for the two of you. Nevertheless, you must know…I cannot sing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found you thru Schmutzie.

    Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Kylie! How exciting!!!! Congrats to you and Mary :) You are the cutest couple I know. Tell Mary, "Bravo!!" YAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julia and Ellen: Thank you so much for the congratulations, and for calling us amazing! :)

    Louise: Thank you!

    But Wait: Absolutely. We're glad you're here to share it.

    Schmutzie: Thank you; it's an honor to be posted on your terrific blog.

    Jim: Thank you so much for your lovely comment. Don't worry; we won't make you sing, but you'll have to contribute in some other way. Perhaps the Hungarian Goulash way...

    SDub: Thank you!

    Jamielynnlynn: Thank you for the congratulations.

    Shauna: The cutest?! Wow; that is quite the compliment. We cannot WAIT to come and visit you in L.A. Seriously.

    -Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm laughing, smiling, and crying all at the same time. So happy for you both! This is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing—made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. PS. You should totally get Ellen to officiate the ceremony!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful engagement story! I love that a few stolen glances across a bus resulted in a lifetime of beautiful love. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so exciting! congratulations you two! What a special season for so many reasons for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tea: Oh, thank you! I'm glad it brought some smiles. I have to admit that this post was inspired by your heartfelt blog posts of late, which I've been really enjoying.

    Rebecca: Isn't it amazing? I'm still surprised, even now. Thank you.

    Sara: Thank you for your congratulations. They mean so much.

    -Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is awesome -- I'm so glad Tea pointed me in this direction. Congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love seeing this much love on the screen. Your faces in that last photo are pure joy. Thank you. And hurrah!

    (Tea sent this to me. Now I'm a fan too.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Genie: Thank you for being here. It means so much.

    Shauna: With all the love you've shared with all of US through the screen, I just had to do my part to contribute. Thank you, thank you for visiting.

    -Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  25. i came across this while reading the love story posts on gluten free girl. i just wanted to say this one really touched me and thank you for sharing! your love inspires!

    ReplyDelete

 

Subscribe in a reader

Adriana Willsie and Kylie Springman ©2009